Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bollywood!


Last night Toby and I went to a musical extravaganza at the Esplanade Theatre called The Merchants of Bollywood. It was amazing! For those who don't know, Bollywood is like the Hollywood of India in the sense that it makes tons of movies. Bollywood has it's own style that has become a style all of its own. It is hard to describe. It's bright, colorful, and energetic to say the least. It's hard to believe that the dancers were standing, let along dancing, at the end of the show. I wouldn't have made it past the first Act. This performance paid tribute to different Bollywood films and also told a real life story of one choreographer who left her hometown- with the disapproval of her grandfather- to pursue her dreams in Bollywood. I recommend you check out the link and see some of the videos yourself.

I had such a good time. I had a smile on my face most of the performance and Toby did too. The crowd even got into it by clapping along. Thank you Mom and Dad for the great Christmas gift.

1 comment:

Aunt Pat said...

sounds like fun. I read a book about India that had a lot of info on Bollywood. Uncle Charlie and Aunt Janice leave for India on Tuesday.