Wednesday, April 1, 2009

6 Months

We have been in Singapore for 6 months now. It seems like we have been here forever, but yet it seems like we just got here. I feel like I know my way around and have settled into a routine, so much so that I get in ruts. Yes, I am living in a foreign country and experience some great things, but my everyday life is very similar to what it would be in the States, and it can get a bit boring. Yes, life with a toddler keeps you on your toes and fills your day, but some times you just can't read one more children's book without yawning or trying to convince your toddler to read it herself... "It will be fun!!"

Appropriately enough I went to Vivocity today. Something I did when we first arrived. I wanted to do something different from what I do day to day. This time I knew that there was a play area and a water area so I was prepared. To get there I didn't have to look at a map and was totally comfortable with the MRT. Unfortunately, when we did arrive I was a bit disappointed. The water area and half the play area were shut down for maintenance ("Sorry for the Inconvenience.") The thing that made it better was that I knew someone there. Yes! I recognized someone from MOPS- not something that would have happened 6 months ago. So, we hung out with some friends for awhile, had lunch, did some shopping and headed home not disappointed at all.

Over the last six months things have changed, and mainly for the better. Yes, I could leave soon (after we see a few more things), or I could stay for another year+ (which is good because we aren't leaving any time soon). I am thankful that I have made some connections here and can stay connected with the people at home. It makes being an expat much better.

On another note Elyse is now 20 months old wow! and I am 31 1/2 years old wow!

2 comments:

Grandma Schmidt said...

sounds like it turned out to be a good day

John D. Pitt III said...

Jenn,
Fun to read about your experiences, both exiting and everyday / hum-drum. I can relate to much of what you are feeling (although Briana could probably understand better) between enjoying being in another country and longing for home.
John