Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Jenn Time

Over the weekend I had Mary come and watch the girls for a few hours so I could go out, explore and have some time for myself. I didn't have a clear plan of what I wanted to do with my time but I wound up going to SKS (a Christian book store), Lau Pa Sat, and Marina Bay.

My first stop at SKS proved to be very fruitful. I got a couple of gifts, a study on prayer, a book on prayer, and a new bible with study questions in the margins for Toby and I to study together. New books make me happy :)

I was getting hungry so I figured I would go to somewhere I had never been before: Lau Pa Sat. According to my Eyewitness Travel book, Lau Pa Sat is ....

Singapore's first municipal market {and} an architecturally impressive food court 
offering an extensive variety of Asian cusines...Originally comissioned by 
Raffles in 1822 on reclaimed land, the elegant octangonal cast-iron structure was designed 
by James MacRitchie and shipped over from Glasgow foundry in 1894. The market 
was dismantled during MRT tunnel construction and was later painstackingly reassembled.

I was there pretty early for dinner, but here are some of my pictures:









To drink I had sugarcane juice. Yum!

 For whatever reason I was fascinated by how they juiced the sugarcane. They just stuck it into this machine and out came the juice, but just seemed amazing how something that looks like a stick can produce such a great drink :)



Outside the main market, they closed off a street and hawker stalls were set up. Most of them were selling satay.


After dinner I was thought I might head to Little India to see all of the Deepavali decorations, but I was a little tired (from carrying all my books) and a little lost after exiting the market. I wandered around awhile and eventually found myself at Marina Bay, way on the east side which I had never been to before. I wandered around for awhile more and then found myself at the Merlion where I took pictures and people watched for awhile. I have decided that the Marina Bay/Singapore River area at night is my favorite place to go to in Singapore.

As I was walking I noticed this being built.

 From the pictures by it, it seems likes a place to walk up and observe the bay. Not sure what's going to be inside it.

Can you guess what this is?


I decided then to call it a night and head home. It was a great evening. I love exploring Singapore.

4 comments:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

Hey... so glad you had some time to yourself you deserve it. I can tell you lessons paid off... Ray would be so proud of these.... and yes I know what that is... looks like you learned something else from Ray.

Grandma Schmidt said...

Always something new to see and do in Singapore- i think the picture is looking up at the sky through something-
we haven't been to that hawker stand - the list for
February begins

Aunt Pat said...

You do such a good job of taking care of yourself!

Grandma Schmidt said...

I think I know what the mistry picture is now