Monday, November 3, 2008

Settling In

We have been in our apartment now for about a week and a half and it is starting to feel like home. Things are unpack and mostly put away. we went to IKEA three times to get stuff for our place. Toby went an another time because not everything would fit into the car. He found out that at 9:00 at night IKEA is crazy, I guess Singaporeans like to shop at night.
I am starting to figure out the neighbor hood. We have a mall in both directions from our apt. One way it's one MRT stop and the other way its 2 stops and a bit of a walk. Each mall offers different things. It's nice to have variety.

We walked around the neighboring HDB (public housing that most Singaporeans live in) and found a couple of playgrounds and a large market. My neighbor, who is from China-stories about her another time-showed me to another market which turns out to be better than the one Toby and I found. It has veggies, fruit, and meat. While my neighbor and I were out she convinced me to try some durian (the stinky fruit). I was pretty disgusting, but I'm glad I tried it.

I have been amble to talk to a few other people in the condo and have even gone to the Chinese Garden with a woman from the Czech Rep and her two kids.

More stories to come. Meanwhile, here are a couple of pictures of Elyse. The first is of her doing one of her favorite things: sitting on the window ledge and looking out the window. The other is of her playing with the rocks as we explored the terrace on the 7th floor of our condo.

1 comment:

Oswald Chong said...

Yeap, Singaporeans like to shop at night for a few reasons:

They have long work hours, and it's cooler at night. Enjoy! I'm a Singaporean living in the States.