Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Enough About Elyse...

I know this blog is often focused on Elyse, but I am going to go a different route today. I am going to tell you what I have been up to :)

Last weekend I got to go on a wonderful MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) Retreat since I am going to be a discussion leader this coming year. It was wonderful to get together with the other leaders and get to know each other better. There was some official business that we had to attending to, but most of the time was devoted to getting to know on another better. There were some ice breaker games (I won a Starbucks gift voucher) and a scavenger hunt before dinner. For the scavenger hunt we had to get a pictures representing M-O-P and S with our whole group. To see our group's pictures click here (Melanie's Blog) or other pictures from the night click here (Camille's blog). We had dinner at an Italian place and then some us went to the Swissotel to spend the night.

This is a view from first room (we had to switch because of booking issues).


This is the group of women who spent the night at the hotel. We stayed up until 2am answering great questions while playing the came "Have you Ever..."


The following morning some of the women met up to go to the spa, but I decided to spend the morning sleeping in and seeing where the morning would take me. I got up around 9 and headed to Starbucks. After that I decided to explore Singapore and perhaps pick up some decorations for our apartment so I headed towards Arab Street. I didn't have a map, so I went by memory. I was pretty proud of myself that I ended up in the right place.

Muslims are now in the midst of Ramadan so Arab Street and others in the area are decorated with lights, etc.


This type of drum can be used for the call to prayer.

While on Arab Street I bought a few presents and I did find a wall hanging for our apartment- yippee! I then headed home to spend some time with Elyse before Toby and I went out on a date.

After Mary, our babysitter, came, Toby and I headed out to the Night Safari. It is basically a zoo at night time. Since it is night time, you get to see all of the nocturnal animals out and about. We road a tram around, kind of like a real Safari, and got to look at the animals. The whole park was very well done and it looked like the animals were in the wild- good job Singapore! My favorite part was the crocodiles. I had never been so close (a few feet) to them. We got to witness them going underwater and then coming up with some food. Toby's favorite animal was the hyena.

3 comments:

Aunt Pat said...

I can never get "enough about Elyse" but I love hearing what you are up to just as much. I am so happy that you have a network of friends in Singapore!

Grandma Schmidt said...

sounds like a great weekend

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

It was a great time... sorry you had to give up that view... that was a good one... can't wait to do it again