Friday, May 6, 2011

Mexican to Moroccan

Toby and I had a date night last week and planned to go to a new Mexican Restaurant that I had heard of. On the way we were talking and we decided to make a trip down Arab Street since Toby had never been there in his 2 1/2 years in Singapore. (I know I couldn't believe it either.) So we walked down Arab Street and I suggested we look for a moment in a carpet store since we had been talking about getting a new carpet.

Well our "moment" in the carpet store turned into about an hour. We were educated on the different types of rugs- hand made vs machine made- the thicknesses, the knots, etc., etc. Did you know that rugs can have 2 totally different colors if you look at it from the smooth side versus the rough side- neither did I.

The guy kept showing us more and more rugs and we were getting more and more interested. I had my eye on one that was hanging from the wall and kept going back to it. After an hour or so we said we would have to think about it- I mean this was the first time we looked at rugs... So we took the man's card and took a walk.

We walked by the mosque (which I still want to go into, but it was not visiting hours)...

...and found a place to eat. This little restaurant had great Moroccan food. I had lamb kabob while Toby had some sort of tomato based lamb dish. We both had Moroccan Apple juice which seemed to have milk in it and some cinnamon- very good. The only problem was that they were short staffed so the service was really slow. We took it stride.We were on a date and the whole point of that is to be together so why not hang out while waiting on an apple juice you ordered 15 minutes ago? Anyway, I would recommend it if they were fully staffed.


After dinner we decided to go back and look at the rug I had my eye on. So they took it off the wall and we got to look at it a bit closer. We decided to take it. So some how our Mexican food turned into Moroccan food and an area rug. It was a great night with a great man :)


2 comments:

Aunt Pat said...

It's beautiful!!

Aunt Pat said...

It's beautiful!!