Monday, December 22, 2008

Random Thoughts


Here are just some random things I have being thinking about and noticing. They don't go together and might not make sense, but I thought I would share them with you:

1. Don't Singaporeans work? I was at the mall yesterday (Monday) at 2:30 and the mall was packed! It was like it would be in the States during the Christmas season. I don't understand how there can me that many people out and about on Monday afternoon!

2. I saw a guy with bright orange socks and a matching top. I don't think anyone will miss him as he goes for a run.

3. I've noticed a lot of parents here hold the wrist of their child instead of their hand as they lead them around.

4. The style for Indian men is to have a mustache.

5. I'm reading Exodus right now and I wonder why God is so exact in some areas "Have them make a chest of acacia wood-two and a half cubits long, a cubit and a half wide, and a cubit and a half high. " (Ex. 25:10) and seem so vague in other areas.

6. Elyse doesn't like sand. I wonder what she'll do when we take her to the beach.

7. The other day I read my emails, got Elyse ready for the day, read Elyse at least 10 stories, went for a walk, went to Starbucks, went to the park, returned some library books and it was only 10:30. I feel like I had a full day and I it was still morning. I don't know how to fill my days. I get bored and restless.

....There is Elyse, I guess I better start my day.

4 comments:

Oswald Chong said...

Hi, I'm a Singaporean living in the US... not sure if you want me to spoil the fun for answering those questions that you've posted... my blog is oswaldchong.blogspot.com. I'm just on the opposite side of you....

1. Many Singaporeans work close to shopping malls. I used to work very near Bugis Junction, so I took breaks at the mall. I had late lunch, and walked around the shopping mall. I'm lucky to be a boss in my division, so I had the free time to take time off whenever I like. Most of them take lunch break at staggering time.

Also, there are actually a lot of tourists in those shopping malls. They just look like "locals". Malaysians, Hong Kongers, Indonesians, Thais etc.... they are the tourists that packed the malls.

And of course, there are many of those who worked at odd hours, like those who worked at discotheque, or restaurants etc... they are usually out shopping at this time.

Many are school children, you know Singapore school system is half-day. So, these kids have the other half-day to pack the malls.

So, now you know where they come from....

2. I don't know this one.

3. This is true. This is more of a culture than norm. There are many school of thoughts about this, so there may be some myths.... my mom held me this way when I was young. First, she thought that my finger bone is weaker (you know milk wasn't a staple in Asia many years ago, though it became a staple when I grew up)... so she held me by the arm... Second, it's more of a control thing. Asian parents are more in control of their kids (good and bad, that I'm not going to stress), so the holding of arm symbolises that control. Third, there are many parents that are afraid to lose their kids in the crowd. There were some cases where kids were snatched from parents (30-40 years ago when Singapore was still developing). So most parents would rather hold their kids by the arm.

4. True, but it's a musculine thing. If you observe even closer, the born in Singapore Indians do not hold hands with each other (male-male) and had thick moustache, the just migrated Indians do not have moutache, and hold hands.... Singaporeans know how to differentiate the "new" Indians from the "born in Singapore" Indians easily.... and treat both differently.... if you carefully observe...

5. This is too religious for me to answer... even though I'm a Catholic.

6. and 7., this is too personal for me to comment.

I hope you're enjoying your stay in Singapore.

Oswald Chong said...

By the way, your daughter is VERY CUTE! My son is 2 years 5 months.... pretty close to your daughter's! We lived for 3 years in Austin, TX before..... and now live in Lawrence, KS.... as you can guess why I'm living here.

Jenn said...

Oswald, Thanks for the comments. I tried to go to your blog, but I was not permitted. It would be interesting to hear what you notice in the US that is different from Singapore. I think it is fun living and experiencing a new culture.

Oswald Chong said...

I was searching for your email address..... mine's oswald@ku.edu, if you can sent it to me, I can sent a link and you can view it. Enjoy reading my blog!