Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tour of the Neighborhood

I realized I haven't posted any pictures of our neighborhood. So, here are some of the things we see around our home:

Our MRT station.

Inside the MRT. It wasn't very crowded.
Most Singaporeans live in HDBs which are large apt complexes.
Here is the one across the street from us.
This is a Chinese temple right across from the market.
We have a few markets close to us. There are many stores like this one. They occupy space inside and then spill out into the sidewalk area. This store sells household items.
Most Singaporeans frequent eating areas called hawker stands or coffee shops. The coffee shops are small versions of the hawker stands. They are like outdoor food courts. Here is one of many coffee shops by our apt.


This is one of the fruit markets by my house. I go to this area for my fruit most of the time.
Here are the vegetable stands I go to.

This is one of the wet markets by my house. They sell meat and fish. I have only bought meat here twice. I usually buy it from the supermarket.

So, that's a glimpse of what we see daily.

3 comments:

Kristen and Eric said...

Thanks for the great pictures. Looks like a wonderful neighborhood.

Aunt Pat said...

The pictures give a real taste of your neighborhood. You must have to be very organized to go grocery shopping!

Grandma Schmidt said...

Wow I am impressed with all of the skills you have accumulated in such a short time. I can't wait to go to a market and coffee shop with you