Friday, June 12, 2009

A Bit of Culture

Yesterday I was over at a friend's house for some fellowship time (a.k.a. hanging out with my bible study group because we are on a break from our study). As Elyse was playing in one of the kid's bedrooms I noticed a Fruit and Vegetable poster. Pretty typical for a kids room, but then I started looking at the pictures. They had what an American might expect: banana, apple, etc., but then came the Singapore fruit such as logons, mangosteen, soursop, durian, jack fruit, and many others. (I think I misspelled most of them.) I just thought it was neat to see how a simple learning cart could give insight in the an area.

Then on the ride home I was in the car with 2 other adults and 3 kids including Elyse. One of the kids asked what year Elyse was born in and then corrected himself and asked what animal she was born in. The other adults laughed a bit and said that we (meaning me and Elyse) don't keep track of birthdays like that. (I had looked up Elyse's animal according to the Chinese calender, but I had forgotten at that moment.) It turns out she was born in the year of the pig. The boy who asked me said he was a rooster and that he could lay eggs. The adults got a bit of a chuckle out of that one as well.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

OK, like you....I've looked it up, but I can't remember right now!! Guess I'll have to brush up on it just in case :-)

Grandma Schmidt said...

Grandpa is a Pig and I am a Tiger.