Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Boston

While in RI, Eric and I took a side trip to Boston. I have never been there before, but have wanted to go for awhile. We first took a tram ride and saw some historical sites and got a better idea of what we would want to explore later in the day. We then went to Quincy Market for lunch.

Eric got a lobster and I got a lobster roll- YUM!

We then walked around that area and headed back on the tram. We decided to get off at the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) and got to tour the oldest boat afloat. It fought in the War of 1812.

This next picture is me standing on the Freedom trail with the Bunker Hill Monument in the background. The Freedom trail is literally a brick path or read line around the Boston area that takes you to 16 (?) historical sites. It is 3 miles long.

Eric and I took the tram to the next stop and found where the Freedom Trail continued. It took us to the North Church where the lanterns were lit for Paul Revere's ride and then the Paul Revere house itself.

The pews inside the church were divided up into little compartments. I overheard someone saying that when it got cold people could bring things to keep themselves warm (hot bricks?) and having the compartments helped keep the heat in- take that for what you will.

After getting some cannolis (YUM) at Mike's (a famous pastry shop- the line was out the door) we headed back to the car. We had parked by the Holocaust memorial. On one of your tram rides, I asked one of our driver some details about it and he said that the six columns were built to look like smoke stacks from the crematoriums (there was steam coming from the ground in each one) and that there were 1 million numbers on each pillar which represented the 6 million Jews that died in the death camps.

We had great weather, I got to explore a city I had never seen before, and I got to spend time with my brother (Thanks Kristen for lending me your husband). The day was wonderful.

3 comments:

Kristen and Eric said...

I had such a great time with you Jenn. Thanks for making the trip!

Love,
Eric

Melanie said...

It's so weird to see a post about where I used to live!!! Ah, it actually makes me miss Boston :-)

Jennifer said...

I would LOVE to go there. So much history!