Monday, August 8, 2011

National Day Celebration


Tomorrow is Singapore's 46th Birthday. To celebrate National Day Elyse's school had a party that parents could attend. I thought this would be great and decided to go.

I left Anastasia at home with Mary and took Elyse to school on the bus. Unfortunately the day did not start well. Once Elyse realized that she had to be with her class first instead of me, the tears flowed. I guess she calmed down in her class, but once she saw me again, she cried. I was able to stand by her for a little while, but then she had to go one way and I the other so she started crying again.

Her class was playing games, but she was still crying. I was beginning to think this was a bad idea and contemplated leaving. The teachers would come up to me and assure me that she is fine at school normally.

Would I ever be able to watch Elyse do anything?!!!?

After a little while Elyse calmed down and decided it was ok that I wasn't by her the entire time. See her read puffy eyes:


After games, the kids went back to their classrooms for a snack and then it was time to sing. Here is Elyse's class being led back into the main hall:

Teacher Sarah singing:
In the hall it was a bit chaotic, but a controlled chaos. There were so many kids since the AM and PM sessions were there together. It was easy to spot Elyse in the crowd though.

She sang and danced through all the the songs celebrating Singapore.

During the pledge the kids stood perfectly still with their hands at their sides:

More songs and then flags were passed out. I really though someone was going to get an eye poked out with all of the crazy preschoolers waving flags, but everyone seemed ok.



After school I decided to take Elyse out for lunch. We rode on a double-decker bus to the mall. She was super excited about it.

Overall it was a good day (I wasn't so sure it was going to be at the beginning...) and it gives me hope that I can watch Elyse participate in activities- although at dinner Elyse told me she likes playing games when we aren't watching. Oh Well... HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINGAPORE!

1 comment:

Aunt Pat said...

She loves you so much that she wants to be with you when you are there. Otherwise, I'm sure the teachers are right...she's ok.