Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Monkey's Birthday

Last night I was driving home from Supper Club (Mexican Food- yum!) and I saw one of the tents near our apartment all lit up. After some deliberation I decided to go take a look (I had a baby sitter already, so why not...). I walked around the tent and heard people banging gongs and singing. Things were all lit up and joss sticks were being burnt. I thought this was for the Hungry Ghost Festival, but when I asked someone they told me it was for the Monkey God's birthday. I wanted to explore inside, but I already felt out of place, so I just observed from the outside.



This video is taken of people who were right next to the big tent. I don't know if this was for the Hungry Ghost Festival (no living people were watching the show) or the Monkey God's birthday. They were actually putting on a puppet show. Again, I didn't want to go out in front because I felt out of place. I think I just need to get over myself sometimes. Anyway, you can at least hear what was taking place.

2 comments:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

Good for you... that is awesome... I wish I would just stop more often and soak up the culture here... I tried to watch the video but it said it was not available... I will come back

Aunt Pat said...

Very Cool...and I am impressed by you driving at night in Singapore!