Friday, September 25, 2009

Turtles, Tortoises, and Lanterns Oh My!

The Chinese Gardens is getting all decked out for the Lantern Festival coming up in early October (more to come on this in future posts), so Elyse and I decided to go over and check it out. We also went to the Live Turtle and Tortoise Museum while we were there.

This museum is in the Guinness Book of World Records, so I was expected something spectacular.

Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed. After you walk through a bunch of turtle figurines and statues, you see rows of tanks filled with tortoises and turtles.

After that you step into a garden which is pretty nice, but for whatever reason it fell short of my expectation.

There are turtles in a pond under the bridge which are a bit crazy. You can feed them, so when they see a person they swarm towards you. Then there are concrete "ponds" (pits made of concrete) with turtles in them. It is a bit sad.

I don't know why there pictures are posted this direction, but they are- bugs me.

The crazy turtles- these are only a few of them.
Elyse saying hi to the crazy turtles.

Elyse smiling for the camera


Although the museum was a bit of a disappointment, I am glad that we went. Elyse enjoyed looking at the turtles and tortoises and it was something new to do. It cost S$5 per adult and S$3 person child. If you decide to go, don't make your expectations high like me. Just go in thinking it will be nice for your kids and that there are a lot of different turtle and tortoises to see all in one place.
After a snack we walked around the gardens and admired (and Elyse counted: 1-2-4-5!) the lanterns. I had first noticed the lanterns from our apartment when they were lit at night. The whole garden is covered with them.
When I entered the garden I asked if there were any activities that were happening with the festival. The guard said last year they had something, but the festivities were canceled due to the H1N1 scare. The decision to cancel the event in the garden was canceled a few months ago during the height of the scare. Bummer!

3 comments:

Grandma Schmidt said...

Beautiful lanterns . it must be fabulous at night. I wonder if your ground floor neighbors have been there.

Aunt Pat said...

It seems there is always something new to see in Singapore, and beautiful too!
Does Elyse really count without her 3 ??

Melanie said...

Guess we'll have to check out the museum at some point....looks like Elyse enjoyed it!