Wednesday, May 2, 2012

On to Christchurch

From or last stop we headed to Christchurch. It was a beautiful day- a day that I wish I could bottle up and keep for rainy days. On our way we stopped by the lookout for Mt. Cook. I got to use my super zoom to take some great pictures.

We played on the rocks for awhile
And then attempted some family photos (me running back as the timer was going off). I think we got a decent one :

I like this shot of Elyse and Toby. I wish Anastasia hadn't stepped in the way. It's still a fun picture.
As we continued along I got to enjoy a Vanilla Coke. I love Vanilla Coke and they haven't been in the US or Singapore for so long. Ahhh, Vanilla Coke...
Our next stop was at Lake Tekapo. I could have stayed here all day. What can I say? Beautiful...

Smile:
Trying to getting a family photo:
On the road again. The scenery is filled with rolling hills and farm land on this side of the country. I different kind of scenery, but still a wonder to look at. God did some of his best work in New Zealand.


When we arrived in Christchurch we stopped by the International Antarctic Centre which was right next to the airport and down the road from our hotel. One of the reasons this centre is in NZ is because the scientists headed for Antarctica fly from there.

There was a cold chamber where you could feel how cold it gets in Antarctica. They have coats and boats for you to borrow. When we went it the thermometer said 17 Degrees F but it felt so much colder. Every couple of hours they have a wind storm bringing the temperature way below zero. I was not going to be in there during the storm.
 Elyse could see her breathe (to bad the camera didn't capture it- just use your imagination.)

 The ice slide
 At the centre they also had penguins. Elyse is almost as big as the Emperor penguin
 Toby gearing up for an expedition.
 Ride anyone?
After the centre we headed to our hotel (which had a playground on site BTW) and prepared ourselves for the flight the next day.

Overall this was a fantastic vacation. I think we paced it right for our family and didn't try to squeeze too many things in. We were able to spend time at places and enjoy God's wonderful creation. New Zealand is BEAUTIFUL! The mountains and the waterfalls are spectacular. We had wonderful weather which highlighted the country. The girls seemed to have a good time as well- maybe it was all the playgrounds we went to :)

No comments: